Monday, May 13, 2013

Having It All




I have been reading blogs about (and by) women with super-successful careers.  Family and children, career and money, ambitions and creativity – they have it all.  More importantly, they appear to be (or at least claim to be) happy and satisfied, having a wonderful time raising their children while pursuing their careers.

A few years ago, when my first-born son was just an infant, my mom and I had a fight.  Well, not exactly a fight, but an unpleasant disagreement.  She said something along the lines of “You can have one child and still maintain your career, but it would be impossible with two.  There is no way a woman can have an intense career and not neglect her (multiple) children.”  I was furious.  I was hoping to have another child.  I had (at the time) no desire to quit my job or to leave science.  So, I told my mother she was absolutely and irrefutably wrong.  My mother got mad.  We dropped the subject and never discussed it again. 

The seed of doubt, however, had been planted.  Could my (intelligent, well-informed, strong-willed) mother really be wrong – or was this the case of “Mama knows best”?  She is a piano teacher. Some of her students come from homes with stay-at-home moms and others come from two-income families.  So, you see, she gets a glimpse of both worlds – and the effects different arrangements have on children.   Mom claims that there is a visible difference between these types of children (and this difference does not favor the kids of career-moms). 

Since that conversation with my mom, I’ve had my second child, quit my job, stayed home for over a year and then came back to work.  As of now, I don’t have a super-ambitious career but I have a job that is rewarding and intellectually challenging while taking up, at most, 40 hours/week.  I love working and I am hoping to push my career forward in the next few years.  I have to admit, I am also semi-secretly pining for a third child (only my husband is aware of this and he is lukewarm to the idea).  I think another child would throw everything off balance, but I no longer believe another child would “destroy” any chance of a career growth or prevent me from doing things that I feel passionate about.  I do believe I will have choices – both career-related and personal.  To me, that is the ultimate freedom: the ability to make choices.     

So…. Do I “Have it All?”

No, certainly not.
There is always a price
My choices precipitate consequences.
  • The biggest one of all:  GUILT.  I feel guilt because I’d rather be working than spending all day long with my kids.  I feel guilt because I haven't been ambitious and just "go with the flow" instead of cranking out papers and advancing my career.
  • My son gets sick frequently (Daycare germs!) and has ear infections (to be fair, when I stayed home he still got sick on a regular basis…  but no ear infections)
  • Daycare:  it’s ok, but not as good as I had hoped (again, to be fair, I doubt there is any place or arrangement that would be absolutely perfect in every single way)
  • The kids go to daycare in wrinkled T-shirts/dresses (a travesty, by my mom’s and grandma’s standards) because, since going back to work, I stopped ironing.
  • They learn certain things at daycare that I don’t approve of (poop jokes, rolling eyes, spitting)
  • I am not there for them all the time
  • Weekends become days to do errands and shopping, so there is less time for fun with the family.
  • My garden is a mess full of weeds.
  • I only dust about once a month.
  • I don’t go to conferences, meetings or evening seminars because I’d rather be home with the kids.  As a result, I don’t expand my network or get exposed to new ideas.


A few years back, I heard this interesting notion that made a huge impression on me: some things in life are like a bouncy-ball.  You drop it and it comes right back, none the worse for wear.  Other things are more of a delicate crystal: drop it and it will shatter into million pieces.  At any given moment in your life, there is going to be something that you can let go and it will bounce back, while something else will be fragile and require care and dedication.  Very often, as we change and our priorities change, the bouncy-ball of yesterday becomes today’s crystal.  It used to be, the relationship with my husband was the bouncy-ball and my work was the crystal that I doted on and spent most of my energy on.  Then it was the kids that became the precious crystal.  Perhaps, there will come a day when that will change, too. 

***********************************************

There are no easy answers, no one-fits-all solutions.  Parenting is hard work.  Building a career is hard work.  I may not be able to "Have it All" but I am trying my best to balance the things that mean the most to me.  Finding the right balance is tricky – and it will vary drastically from person to person. What I am trying to say is this:  there is no wrong way and no right way to live your life and to balance different aspects of your life.  You have to figure out what works for you and be your own “Fiddler on the Roof” or “Scientist on the Roof” or “Mom on the Roof” – do what you have to do to keep yourself from teetering over the edge.  Just remember to take a minute to enjoy who you are and where you are.

What is the “bouncy-ball” and what is the “crystal” for you?
Any doubts about how you choose to spend most of your waking time?


2 comments:

  1. I have a science career too and 2 kids. My career has slowed as I've not taken jobs that require more travel than I am already doing. I liken my life to the plate spinner. I have many plates spinning at once. When one starts to wobble, I run over and spin that plate to get it going again. There's always something wobbling and it's definitely a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plate spinner - that's quite an image!!!! I like it :)

      I have also cut down on travel since the kids were born and certainly missed some career opportunities. Right now, the time I get to spend with my son and daughter seem more rewarding than career growth.

      Best of luck with everything - and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete