Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Best of Academia

What I loved ( and still miss) about academia

1. The people. The amazing, knowledgeable, sometimes quirky people from all over the world. I've worked with scientists from Brazil, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Indonesia, India, Israel, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Russia, Taiwan,Turkey, Ukraine, US, Venezuela. The opportunity to get to know them has been a privilege and I am thankful for it. A few became close friends. One became my husband. 

2. Free access to most of the academic journals under the sun.

3. The Library. Big-name universities usually have amazing collections. Better than any public library  I've seen in the US so far (although I am very much in love with our local public library).

4. The "other-worldliness" of the ivory tower. I felt like my childhood wasn't really over as long as I stayed at a University. 
I still can't believe I am a grown up and will turn 40 this year, but somehow, being in the "real world" with a "real job" makes me feel like I should be a grown-up.

5. The snob-factor: I loved saying "I am a scientist in the department of xyz at such-and-such univeristy!" 


What is your favorite thing about your academic job?

No comments:

Post a Comment