When I was planning the trip to France, my two older kids said they absolutely wanted to see the Palace of Versailles. I figured we'd spend the whole day there and made absolutely sure we got the tickets - it was the first reservation I made.
We arrived just before 9 am, on a warm, sunny morning, after a longish trip on metro + train and a brief walk. And the palace presented itself in its full grandeur, the gold shining in the morning sun. It was blinding, really - you couldn't look at the palace without squinting.
[Our current president must be green with envy.]
We took a few photos, but those wouldn't do it justice.
This is "dress to impress" at a whole other level. As in, pick your jaw up from the ground, and feel humbled and tremendously lucky to be in the presence of ... I don't know, I guess the legacy of Luis the XIV?
Anyway. It was all amazing. I loved the gardens even more than the palace. I wish I had more time to wonder around and explore. I am putting it on my "I will be back" list (note to self - go to Versailles when the foutains are on!).
Guess what my daughters liked the best, among all the wonders and splendor, all that gold, the elaborate furniture, furniture, the mirrors, the fountains, the play-village of Marie Antoinette? It was small pig near the Queen's Hamlet. They had a few farm animals there in an enclosure (chickens, a donkey, sheep...) - but the pig was a winner. It was adorable. When the girls started petting it, it rolled its eye and pretend-fainted at their feet, oinking in rupture as they were scratching its back.
One of my favorite things at Versaille was the portrait of Elisabeth-Chralotte de Baviere (because she looks like she knows how to enjoys life). I'm going to have to read up about her.
Here's an empty hallway that keeps going and going - but imagine it filled with people strolling about, gossiping, flirting.
No comments:
Post a Comment